Friday, May 23, 2014

Train of Thought #7: Ancient Arena Sports

T-shirts and posters of "RSL" are available for purchase here

On Saturday night we saw Real Salt Lake play the Colorado Rapids and had a great time. Whenever I go to sporting events I find myself totally amazed by the sea of fans, and I can't help but think about how ancient this kind of experience is. When I was 17 I was lucky enough to visit the Colosseum, and I'll never forget the feeling that swept over me as I thought about how many people had sat in those seats; cheering and booing over unbelievably violent battles, sharing in the glories of victors and thrilling at the strength and speed of those who were trained to compete. Most modern-day professional athletes live the celebrity lifestyle, so I suppose we've progressed in that we don't force slaves and prisoners into the ring anymore (not in this part of the world anyway). But isn't it interesting that little else has changed when it comes to the things we watch for entertainment?


With those thoughts in mind, I wanted to devote this week to a soccer illustration, and I thought with the world cup coming up next month maybe I should rep my state and country at the same time with a celebration of the magnificent Kyle Beckerman. My younger brother is living in Brazil during the chaos, so maybe I'll send him a t-shirt? You can get one (or a poster) at the link below the picture.
All content copyright© 2014 Adriana Vawdrey

No comments:

Post a Comment