Friday, May 16, 2014

Train of Thought #6: "Universal Desire" (in-progress)

Sometimes it's good to get into your supplies and work with something you haven't touched in a while. I haven't used oils in about a year and a half and this painting has been in the back of my mind as something I need to finish. I posted about it back then, and my opinion remains that the painting needs to be simplifed in a major way. I find that sometimes when I paint to relax I use too much color, and rather than complimenting each other they compete in a bad way. Right now I'm painting over this and converting it to grayscale because I want to focus more on contrast, composition, and movement.

I don't regret how I started it because there's no way I would have been able to decide on something without making the mistake in the first place. This is a really different process than the one I use when I'm doing most illustration work. I like the trial and error aspect of painting, so when I do this kind of personal work I don't plan a lot before I get the paint out.
All content copyright© 2014 Adriana Vawdrey

No comments:

Post a Comment